Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Taking Antibiotics? Don’t Forget the ProBiotics!

My Sadie never did well with antibiotics. Though a necessity, antibiotics can be quite harsh on the gut. Antibiotics not only kill the “bad” bacteria, they also kill the “good” bacteria/flora in the intestinal tract. This can lead to gastritis, a condition which causes severe nausea, heartburn, stomach upset and a general malaise. I speak from personal experience, as this happened to me after a round of antibiotics! For a solid month, I felt like I was on the verge of vomiting! I had to take an anti-nausea drug plus a drug to restore the healthy flora. The same reaction can occur with animals! They cannot speak English, so we must do everything to avoid such a reaction!

The solution to avoiding such a reaction to antibiotics is by also taking ProBiotics during the same time, and after, a dose of antibiotics. For Sadie, I would crush up a Yogurt Chew, purchased at my local pharmacy, and mix it w/ ¼ tsp of Baby Cereal and administered it with a 3ml syringe. Real Yogurt with live cultures can also be used. She always responded positively to this, and I could tell it helped. For all the nausea that my baby endured, there was only one time that she could not hold this mixture down. And that’s saying a lot!

Check the label and with your vet about when you should give probiotics, as there needs to be sufficient time to allow the antibiotics to work. For Sadie it was a 2-3 hour interval. How much should you give? My vet just shrugged and told me to go with my instincts. I made sure she got at least the equivalent of one tablet a day.