Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Low Blood Sugar

When Sadie was ill, in the beginning I would ask her vet about her blood tests and what I could do to improve her levels. Since she was so focused on treating the cancer, most of her attention was on the WBC level, and not a whole lot of attention was paid to the other numbers. I do understand her reasoning; if you treat the cancer, then the whole body will get well. But unfortunately everything with Sadie was complicated. I noticed her glucose levels were always low. Never was I told that I could do something about those sugar levels! Sadie’s new vet informed me I could put a little syrup to her tongue and she would probably feel better. And she did indeed! The nutritional supplement NutriCal is also beneficial, and is actually what we used to nurse Misty back to health. If your dog is under the weather and has not eaten normally, chances are their glucose levels are low. Of course, check with your vet first, but giving a little syrup may do the trick to brighten their eyes! It did with Sadie.