Saturday, January 17, 2009

This Dog’s Not Going Anywhere . . . She’s Too Sweet!

Later that afternoon we took Sadie out for a car ride. Her previous owner had told me how much Sadie loved a drive and advised me if she ever got down, drive her around for a while. Well, Sadie was just fine, but we wanted her to meet some of the family. We stopped by my mother-in-law’s office. Since no clients were present at the time, we brought Sadie in to meet my husband’s mother and sister. Sadie immediately set off to sniffing out the building. My mother-in-law introduced herself to Sadie by giving her a piece of flour tortilla. You should have seen Sadie go wild! Laughter filled the building because Sadie was there. She was doing just fine and showed no signs of emotional scarring. It was nigh-impossible to think her previous owners were going to put her to sleep! What craziness!
We wanted Sadie to have a check-up, so we took her to Misty’s vet. This vet believed in Misty when none of the other vets did. He called her his miracle dog. We didn’t want Sadie to see anyone else. We brought the medical records, and they showed Sadie’s long history of allergies. Since she was a pup, she was given allergy shots on a regular basis and she desperately needed one right then. But overall, Sadie’s health was good. One thing we found out quick: she didn’t like visits to the vet! Her eyes bulged even more with all the prodding and picking!
The next day I introduced her to my side of the family. I could tell they were holding back tears due to her resemblance of Misty. I remember Sadie calmly sitting on my lap as my mother greeted her. She was so at ease and trusting of me.
After having her for 48 hours, the time had come for us to leave her alone in the house. Misty had never been left alone in our home, save once, when I was involved in a car accident. We knew Sadie was trained, and we just had to trust her while we were at church service. I was a bit nervous, but those fears were calmed when we returned home that evening. We were given the sweetest greeting. Sadie came into the foyer with her little “baby” toy in her mouth. She was so excited to see us. She plopped on the carpet and wanted us to rub her belly. I cannot convey just how excited she was that we were home. My husband and I were touched that she would already love us after such a short time. My husband made an emphatic statement, “This dog is not going anywhere. She’s too sweet!” When I checked the caller ID that evening, I noticed that her first owner had called, but did not leave a message. She never called again. And that was that. It was firm: Sadie was not going anywhere!